This book appears in the following booklists
in categories:Politics & Philosophy, Changing the World, Anti-Capitalism & Global Inequality, Environment & Animal Rights,
Do It Yourself: A Handbook for Changing Our World
£12.99 paperback Pluto Press (2007)
Do you really want to change the world? If the answer is YES, then this book shows you how.
Ethical consumerism is now big business. But leading a sustainable and truly radical life encompasses a whole variety of things that challenge the mainstream. This book shows how we can make real changes to the way we live. In simple steps, it describes how you can create sustainable and equitable ways of living that can help transform not just your own life, but the culture around you.
Covering everything from eduction, to transport, entertainment and housing, the book brings together practical advice on progressive alternatives.
It shows you how to: set up a housing cooperative, do a workshop on climate change, build a passive solar heating system, start an independent media project, set up a social centre, and make interventions in the urban landscape that are funny and inspiring and lots more!
Glossary; Introduction: Do it yourself;
1. Why the party's over;
2. How to get off the grid;
3. Why do it without leaders;
4. How to make decisions ourselves;
5. Why society is making us sick;
6. How to manage our own health;
7. Why we've still got a lot to learn;
8. How to inspire change through learning;
9. Why we are what we eat;
10. How to set up community gardens;
11. Why we need cultural activism;
12. How to prank, play and subvert the system;
13. Why we have to reclaim the commons;
14. How to set up autonomous spaces;
15. Why we need to reclaim the media; V
16. How to communicate beyond TV;
17. Why we need to take direct action;
18. How to build active campaigns;
Conclusions: Changing our world;
ISBN 13: 9780745326375 | ISBN 10: 0745326374
For mail-order we charge postage at actual cost, at current Royal Mail rates by parcel weight and size
Please note: Neither this website nor our order website can tell you if a book is actually in the shop right now - please contact us to find out.
Prices - we do our best to keep price information up to date, but publishers very occasionally change book prices, so we cannot completely guarantee the prices shown here.
We're always happy to check price & availability for you before you place your order, just ask!