This book appears in the following booklists
in categories:Feminism & Women, Anti-Racism, Black, Asian & Other Diasporas, World - North America, Peace & Human Rights, World - Asia,
Making Space for Indigenous Feminism
Joyce Green (editor)
£21.99 paperback Zed Books (2008)
The majority of scholarly and activist opinion by and about Indigenous women claims that feminism is irrelevant for them. Yet there is also an articulate, theoretically informed and activist constituency that identifies as feminist. This book is by and about Indigenous feminists, whose work demonstrates a powerful and original intellectual and political contribution demonstrating that feminism has much to offer Indignenous women in their struggles against oppression and for equality. Indigenous feminism is international in its scope: the contributors here are from Canada, the USA, Sapmi (Samiland), and Aotearoa/New Zealand. The chapters include theoretical contributions, stories of political activism, and deeply personal accounts of developing political consciousness as Aboriginal feminists.
- Introduction: From Symposium to Book - Joyce Green
- Part 1: What is Indigenous Feminism?
- 1. Taking Account of Indigenous Feminism - Joyce Green
- 2. Aboriginal Women on Feminism: Exploring Diverse Points of View - Verna St. Denis
- 3. Metis and Feminist: Reflections from the Margins - Emma Larocque
- Part 2: Aboriginal Feminist Analysis and Theory
- 4. Sami Women and Feminism: Strategies for Healing and Transformation - Rauna Kuokkanen
- 5. Native American Feminism, Sovereignty, and Social Change - Andrea Smith
- 6. Gender, Essentialism, and Feminism in Samiland - Jurunn Eikjok
- translated by Gunhild Hoogensen
- 7. Indigenous Feminism as Resistance to Imperialism - Makere Stewart- Harawira
- 8. Balancing Strategies: Aboriginal Women and Constitutional Rights in Canada - Joyce Green
- Part 3: Aboriginal Feminist Activists and Sister-Travellers
- 9. Looking Back, Looking Forward - Shirley Green
- 10. Maori Women and Leadership in Aotearoa - Kathie Irwin
- 11. Yes, My Daughter, We Are Cherokee Women - Denise Henning
- 12. My Home Town Northern Canada South Africa - Emma LaRocque
- 13. Culturing Politics and Politicizing Culture - Shirley Bear
- 14. An Aboriginal Feminist on Violence Against Women - Tina Beads with Rauna Kuokkanen
- 15. Colleen Glenn: A Metis Feminist in Indian Rights for Indian Women - Colleen Glenn with Joyce Green
- 16. Woman of Action: An Interview with Sharon McIvor - Sharon McIvor with Rauna Kuokkanen
ISBN 13: 9781842779408 | ISBN 10: 1842779400
For mail-order we charge postage at actual cost, at current Royal Mail rates by parcel weight and size
Please note: Neither this website nor our order website can tell you if a book is actually in the shop right now - please contact us to find out.
Prices - we do our best to keep price information up to date, but publishers very occasionally change book prices, so we cannot completely guarantee the prices shown here.
We're always happy to check price & availability for you before you place your order, just ask!