by Dr. Jessie Carney Smith - £26.99 Visible Ink Press (2021)
paperback ISBN 13: 9781578596881 | ISBN 10: 1578596882
Achievement, pride, and accomplishments. Change, progress, and pioneers.
Hard-won victories. Barrier-breaking triumphs. Society-changing feats. Inspirational people. Remarkable people, places, and events in black history are gathered in Black Firsts: 500 Years of Trailblazing Achievements and Ground-Breaking Events by Dr. Jessie Carney Smith.
Updated regularly since it first published in 1994, this new edition is the first in nine years and adds hundreds of new stories, bringing readers up-to-date accounts of change, progress, and pioneers. It bears witness to the long and complex history of African Americans.
The new edition collects and celebrates the thousands of world-moving people with hard-to-find facts and accomplishments that have helped shape society and culture, including...
* Who was the first African American bookseller? (1834 David Ruggles, New York City)
* When was the first black-owned company listed on a major stock exchange? (1971 Johnson Products)
* Who was the first black U.S. senator? (1870 Hiram Rhoades [Rhodes] Revels, Mississippi)
* Who was the first black American to become a member of the prestigious EGOT society (as a winner of the Emmy, Oscar, Grammy, and Tony awards)? (2018 John Legend)
* Who was the U.S. Supreme Court’s first black justice? (1967 Thurgood Marshall)
* Who first broke the color barrier to become a flight attendant? (1958 Ruth Carol Taylor)
* Who became the first black to graduate from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point? (1877 Henry Ossian Flipper)
* Who was the first black president elected to The American Psychiatric Association? (2018 Altha Stewart)
* Who was the first regularly recognized black physician in the United States? (1780s James Durham [Derham])
* Who was the black explorer who joined the Lewis and Clark expedition? (York)
* Who was the first black lawyer to argue a case before the Supreme Court? (1880 Samuel R. Lowery)
* Who participated in the first armed encounter of the American Revolution and later became the first black to receive an honorary master's degree? (Lemuel Haynes)
* Who was the first African American to lead the NASA space program? (2009 Charles Frank Bolden Jr.)
* Who was the first black American to win the Nobel Peace Prize? (1944 Ralph Johnson Bunche)
Who was the first black American athlete to win an Olympic gold medal? * (1908 John Baxter “Doc” Taylor Jr. winner of the 4 X 400-meter relay in London)
* Which inventor had the first patent granted an African American? (1872 Elijah McCoy)
* Who is thought to be the United States’ first black millionaire? (1890 Thomy Lafon, New Orleans real estate speculator and moneylender)
* Who was the first black named Association of College and Research Librarian of the Year? (1985 Jessie Carney Smith)
* Which black first sang a principal role with the Metropolitan Opera? (1955 Marian Anderson)
* When was the first black judge appointed to the U.S. Court of Appeals? (1966 Spottswood Robinson)
* Which black artist was the first to be featured in a solo exhibit at New York’s Museum of Modern Art? (1937 William Edmondson)
* Who was the first known black to graduate from an American college? (1823 Alexander Lucius Twilight received a bachelor’s degree from Middlebury College in Vermont)
(Price & availability last checked: April 2021)
Featured book: New History & Biography, New Books - Black, Asian & Other Diasporas,
In booklists: Black History, Black and Asian Biography and Autobiography, In categories: History & Biography, Black, Asian & Other Diasporas, World - Asia,